Sunday, December 14, 2008

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul B. flew back to London today at 2:50 in the morning, I saw him to the airport (the least I could do), came back and slept, knowing I wouldn't have to volunteer until in the afternoon. That's not the reason why I'm exclaiming "NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I just checked my e-mail... to find that my flight got changed!!!!! It's not good because I thought I had 2 more days in Mali but apparently, I don't anymore! This is what happens when you buy the cheapest ticket you can find. They arbitrarily change your itinerary and then expect you to be perfectly fine with it. My flight has been changed from the 29th of December to the 27th! So now, I'm going home 2 days earlier than anticipated. Not only that, but I'm on the 3:35 a.m. flight on the 27th! Which really means I have only until the 26th! Damn it! That leaves me less than 2 more weeks and I STILL haven't gone to Timbuktu yet! What am I going to do? I know I have a week off at the end of my internship during the week of Christmas... but is that enough? Paul C. really wants to go to Sénégal but I really want to go to Timbuktu and neither of us think it's a good idea to travel alone. Then again, how dangerous could going to the desert in Mali be? It can't be that bad as long as there are no major communication barriers. I think this is where the road splits and Paul C. goes to Sénégal while I head over to Timbuktu, a place I'd always wanted to go to after having watched cartoons about it as a child. Yeah, I confess, I used to watch a lot of cartoons when I was a kid.

If I hitchhike, I know it will take a few days to go to Timbuktu and another couple to get back. That means I have to devote about a week for this trip, making a side trip to Sénégal seemingly impossible. I think I can handle the Malian desert alone. I'm stronger than I look. I never plan, but this trip, I feel as though I should start planning now, or I may never get a chance to get there. If something happens, at least I can say I died trying =) as is always my motto when doing possibly not the safest things in the world. Tomboutooooouuuuuuu !!!!! Je veux te voir !

Today's Random Quiz:
You Should Fly on a Trapeze
Some people may call you a daredevil. Others would call you an adrenaline junkie.
But for you, it's not about the risk - it's all about the reward.

You crave freedom. And flying on a trapeze is the closest you'll get to that freedom.
The rush of doing something humans weren't born to do is amazing. And you're willing to put your life in danger to experience it.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

yes yes! dont be so selfish kerstin! dont you miss me?? isn't this supposed to be good news? i can't wait to see you!! Good luck getting to Timbuktu ;) and come back to me safe and sound!

Cathy said...

oh yeah, and i can't believe you actually MISS snow! it's snowing in Madison right now... i'll be more than happy to share it with you!! Take it, take it all away from here it's so cold!!!!!!